International Registration Plan (IRP)

IRP, commonly referred to as Apportion, is a reciprocal agreement for registering vehicles that travel in two or more member jurisdictions. Under the Plan, the interstate operator is required to file an application with their base jurisdiction, which issues a base apportioned license plate and cab card. The base plate and cab card are the only identification or credentials required to qualify the carrier to operate interstate or intrastate in IRP member jurisdictions. The cab card will list those jurisdictions in which the operator has qualified and paid registration fees.

The percentage of miles traveled in each jurisdiction is the basis of IRP registration fees. The number of miles traveled in each jurisdiction for which the registrant apportioned determines the total fees due for an apportioned license plate and cab card. In most cases, the declared gross vehicle weight of the truck or combined gross vehicle weight of the power unit and any trailer determines the fees.

"Apportionable Vehicle" means any vehicle (except trailers, recreational vehicles, vehicles displaying restricted plates, city pickup and delivery vehicles, buses used in transportation of chartered parties, and government-owned vehicles) used or intended for use in two or more member jurisdictions that allocate or proportionally register vehicles, and is used for the transportation of persons for hire or designed, used or maintained primarily for the transportation of property and is:

  • A power unit having two axles and a GVW or registered GVW over 26,000 lbs. -or-
  • A power unit having three or more axles, regardless of weight -or-
  • Used in combination, when the weight of such combination is over 26,000 lbs. GVW

Effective July 1, 2010, IRP transactions will no longer be processed at DMV Field Offices and will be handled exclusively by the IRP Section at DMV Headquarters.

All IRP applications must be filed by mail to the following address*:

    Department of Motor Vehicles,
    International Registration Plan Operations Section,
    P.O. Box 932320, MS H160,
    Sacramento, CA 94232-3200.

    Telephone Number: (916) 657-7971

*Carriers are encouraged to provide their email address as this can provide an expedited method for processing paperwork.

All annual IRP renewal notices are sent 60 days in advance of their expiration date. Carriers should file IRP renewal paperwork within 30 days of expiration or within 30 days of identification of new operations.

Unified Carrier Registration (UCR)

On January 1, 2007, the Single State Registration System was repealed and replaced with Unified Carrier Registration (UCR). UCR requires individuals and companies that operate commercial motor vehicles in interstate or international commerce register their business with California and pay an annual fee based on the size of their fleet. Motor private carriers, freight forwarders, brokers, and leasing companies are also subject to UCR.

Who is Subject to UCR?

All motor carriers (for-hire, private and exempt) - as well as brokers, freight forwarders, and leasing companies operating in interstate or international commerce are subject to the UCR. Entities based in Canada and Mexico that are involved in interstate or international commerce in the United States are also subject to UCR.

Who is not Subject to UCR?

The following groups are not subject to UCR:

    1. Entities that receive USDOT numbers under the PRISM program as "registrants" but have no interstate operating authority;
    2. Except when a state has adopted the UCR Program for intrastate carriers, purely intrastate carriers, that is those that do not handle interstate/international freight or make interstate/international movements;
    3. Private motor carriers of passengers, meaning those that operate as a private motor carrier engaged in the interstate/international transportation of passengers which is provided in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise and is not available to the public at large.

No UCR Credential is required to be carried in the commercial motor vehicle.

If you operated in previous years, back to 2007, and did not register in the UCR for those registration years, you must pay the prior year fees to avoid possible enforcement action.

You can pay online with Visa, Mastercard or eCheck at or mail in the application.


Own operations under your own authority? Find out what is required to start your own business in the trucking industry. If you operate in more than one jurisdiction, you will need to get your IRP plates and UCR.


Startup Services

Starting your own trucking company requires preparation and planning because the trucking business is one of the most regulated industries in the country.


Upcoming Due Dates


IFTA Reporting Online