Intrastate Authority

A motor carrier permit is a document issued by the DMV's Motor Carrier Services Branch. The permit is issued to the motor carrier as evidence of the registration with the DMV of their Carrier Identification number (CA#).

Who needs a permit?

  • Any person or business entity that is paid to transport property in their motor vehicle regardless of vehicle size or weight. Persons who transport property for compensation are deemed a 'For-Hire' motor carrier.
  • Generally, any person or business entity operating a commercial vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 10,001 pounds or more, either for business or personal use. Persons operating such vehicles are deemed a 'Private' motor carrier.

You will need to complete and submit application form DMV 706 MCP, proof of financial responsibility DMV 65 MCP, proof of Worker's Compensation Insurance or signed exemption, a Carrier Identification Number (CA#), payment of fees and a valid Requestor Code issued by the Employer Pull Notice Program (EPN)*.

*If necessary make copies of all forms before mailing originals to:

    Department of Motor Vehicles,
    Motor Carrier Services Branch,
    Motor Carrier Permit Operations,
    P.O. Box 932370 - MS G875,
    Sacramento, CA 94232-3700.

Permits will be processed in 3-7 days after received by DMV office.

For Frequently Asked Questions regarding Motor Carrier Permits,

Household Goods Carriers

Household Goods Carriers must complete and submit an Application For Household Goods Carrier Permit (Form TL706-HHG). There is a non-refundable $500 application filing fee. Other supporting documentation include, but are not limited to:

  • Articles of Incorporation or Organization
  • EPN #
  • CA #
  • BIT, if applicable
  • Balance Sheet
  • Profit and Loss Statement
  • Fingerprints of all members, owners, officers or partners
  • Equipment Form
  • Form E & Form H submitted by insurance company
  • Workers’ Compensation
  • Tariff must be on file

Processing of applications takes about 90 days assuming all completed information is accurate.

For more details see:


Interested in obtaining your own operating authority? Interstate commerce is trade, traffic, or transportation involving either the vehicle, its passengers, or cargo crossing a state boundary. Intrastate commerce is trade, traffic, or transportation within a single state.


Interstate Authority

Also referred to as an "MC","FF" or "MX" number, depending on the type of authority that is granted. Generally, 'for-hire' carriers engaging in interstate commerce are required to have Interstate Authority Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).


Upcoming Due Dates


IFTA Reporting Online